H.A. DeHart & Son was founded in 1884 with its primary business being blacksmithing. This business included the repair of wagons, which from all accounts, led the company into manufacturing new wagons. The first wagon produced then led the company into manufacturing ice units and furniture vans. With the advent of the automobile the company altered their product line by selling truck chassis and building a truck body to fit.
Today, H.A. DeHart & Son is one of the largest transportation equipment distributors in the Mid-Atlantic region. The company is the oldest distributor of Great Dane Trailers in the United States. The company also has the exclusive rights to distribute Thomas Built Buses in the State of New Jersey.
H.A. DeHart & Son has entered into over 30 dealership agreements with manufacturers of transportation equipment. These products include refuse, snow removal, hydraulics, dump bodies, stake bodies, street sweepers, cranes, recycling equipment and buses. Within these product categories, the company offers an array of product options and custom features. H.A. DeHart & Son also has a full line of parts, service and repair facilities to handle all facets of the transportation market.
The company is centrally located with main facilities conveniently located off Interstate 295, about 15 minutes east of Philadelphia and just 25 minutes north of Wilmington, Delaware. The New Jersey Turnpike, which is a major corridor linking the entire east coast, is just 10 minutes from the facility. H.A. DeHart & Son is located on over 7 acres land. The Sales and Service facilities are over 31,000 sq. ft. Satellite sales and service facilities are located at Seaford, Delaware; Cliffwood, New Jersey; and Stanhope, New Jersey.
The company ownership has been controlled by the DeHart family from its inception until 1987. In 1987, the majority of the issued stock was purchased by an Employees Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP). The company is not affiliated with The DeHart Group. The Trustees of the ESOP are Philip L. Clifford, Sr., Joseph Tompkins and Michael Wright.